Sunday, December 21, 2014

Crab Stuffed Flounder


This recipe came from "Uncle Bubba" on the Food Network. I made a couple of changes (as noted), which made it simpler and less expensive to prepare. My entire family LOVED it! Definitely a do-over! -Claire

Ingredients
2 (10 oz.) flounder fillets (I used 2 bags of frozen flounder fillets, each fillet much smaller in size)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
Uncle Bubba's Crab Cake Mix, recipe follows
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Cooking spray (not necessary if using a well seasoned Stoneware Baker)
1 (1 inch) slice Crab Butter, recipe follows
Fresh parsley, for garnish (I didn't have any but presentation would have been even prettier with it!)

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Sprinkle flounder with salt and pepper. Using a fillet knife, carefully open the flounder by cutting along the left and right sides of the seam down the middle of the fish to make pockets. Lay the cut sides back. (The fillets that I had were not thick enough to fillet them, so I didn't even attempt!)

Stuff the flounder with the Crab Cake Mix, and press the sides down to cover the filling. Sprinkle with paprika. (I just put an even coating of the mixture on top of each of the fillets)

Coat a glass baking dish with cooking spray. (I used a Stoneware Baking Pan). Place the fish in the dish and bake for 20 minutes. (I put the fish on the dish before topping it so I didn't have to move them). When the fish is done, remove it from the oven. Slice a medallion of crab butter and place it on top of the grilled fish. Sprinkle fresh parsley on top for added color.

Crab Cake Mix:
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
3 green onions, thinly sliced (including green tops)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley leaves (I didn't have any :-( )
1 small green pepper, finely chopped
1 egg
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons heavy cream (I used 1% milk)
1 1/2 tablespoons spicy mustard
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons mayonnaise (I used Dukes Light)
10 saltine crackers, crumbled medium to fine
1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked clean of shells
1/2 pound claw crabmeat, picked clean of shells (I used 1 pound of imitation crabmeat, coarsely chopped instead of the fresh lump and claw crabmeat-setting aside about 1 ounce for the crab butter.)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a medium skillet, melt the butter and saute the onions, garlic, parsley and peppers until soft. Let cool.

In a mixing bowl, combine the egg, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, heavy cream (or milk), mustard, lemon juice and mayonnaise together. Gently mix in the saltine crackers and crabmeat. Add salt and pepper, if needed. Set aside to stuff in flounder.

Crab Butter: (I cut this in 1/2 and still had twice as much as need)
2 ounces claw crabmeat, picked clean of shells (I used approx. 1 ounce of chopped imitation crabmeat, reserved from above)
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened (I only used 1)
1 tablespoon seafood base (I didn't use this)
1 green onion, thinly sliced (I used entire green onion even though I used less crabmeat and butter)

Fold the crab, butter, seafood base, and onions together in a medium bowl and mix until smooth. Remove from the bowl and shape into a log on a piece of parchment paper. Roll up and place in the freezer. Reserve for flounder.

No comments:

Post a Comment